Harry Hudson

royal garrison artillery badge2nd Lieutenant, 177th Siege Battery, Royal Garrison Artillery (Special Reserve), died of wounds, 26th April, 1918, aged 29

Born at Morley, Leeds on 18th October 1888, Harry was the only son and one of three children of Thomas and Edith Hudson. His father was a school master from Kirkby Malzeard and his mother was from Barnstaple. In 1891 his father was teaching at Calverley but had moved into Leeds in 1901 where he was the headmaster of Beeston Hill Council School.

On leaving school Harry followed his father’s profession and trained as a school teacher. In 1911 he was teaching at Nicholls Hospital for Maintenance & Instruction of Sons of Poor Parents (a Boys Orphanage) in Hyde Road, Ardwick, Manchester. He was still teaching at Nicholls Hospital when he married May Sterne at Dewsbury Road Methodist Chapel, Beeston, Leeds on 20th March 1913. May was a dressmaker when they married.

In September 1914 the Hudson’s moved from Manchester when Harry took up the position of headmaster at Eastoft Church of England School and their daughter, Gwendolyn was born at Eastoft on 12th December 1915. Following Harry’s enlistment in the army his wife moved back to Leeds, where she and Gwendolyn lived with her parents at 141 Cross Flats Grove, Beeston.

Harry enlisted in the army as Gunner 113460 with the Royal Garrison Artillery Special Reserve at Goole on 20th November 1915, being mobilised for full service on 7th August 1916. Posted to 225th Siege Battery, Royal Garrison Artillery at Dover, he arrived in France with them on Christmas Day, 1916.

Promoted to Acting Bombardier, on 26th April 1917 he applied to be an officer and on 22nd June 1917 joined the RGA Special Reserve Officer Cadet Unit at Bournemouth. Completing his training Harry received his commission to 2nd Lieutenant on 24th November 1917 and was ‘gazetted’ on 25th November.

Spending some time at the Royal Garrison Artillery Base in Folkestone on 29th December 1917 he returned to France to serve with the 177th Siege Battery RGA.

In April 1918 the 177th Siege Battery was in the area north of Kemmel which saw heavy fighting, and shelling, during the Battle of the Lys. On 25th April Harry was wounded, most likely by artillery fire and taken to No 62 Casualty Clearing at Haringhe. Here the following day, 26th April 1918, Harry Hudson died of his wounds. He is buried in Haringhe (Bandaghem) Military Cemetery.

A memorial service was held for Harry in St Bartholemew’s Church on Sunday 5th May 1918. The Church was full and Eastoft Volunteer Training Corps were in attendance.