Born at Epworth in January 1894, Arthur was the second son of Henry and Sarah Rose (nee Green). His father was a farm labourer and both parents were from Whaplode in South Lincolnshire.
In 1911 both Arthur and his elder brother Thomas were working as farm labourers at White House Farm in Althorpe. Whilst in Althorpe he met a local girl, Olive Colley and the couple married in January 1914.
Arthur enlisted in the Lincolnshire Regiment at Althorpe, most likely in late 1915. Following his training he was posted to France to join the 8th Battalion before transferring to the 7th Lincoln’s.
In July 1916 the 7th Lincoln’s were involved in the early days of the Battle of the Somme, sustaining heavy casualties during the Battle of Albert first at Fricourt and then at the Battle of Bazentin Ridge. After Bazentin Ridge they were posted in and out of the line in various places until, on the 1st November, they moved to trenches between Les Boeufs and Gueudecourt.
During the evening of 2nd November they relieved the 7th Border Regiment who had attacked and captured a trench known as Zenith Trench earlier that day. The usual heavy shelling and sniping went on during the night, and on the 3rd November after four hours artillery bombardment, the German infantry made two determined attacks to recapture Zenith Trench. The first attack was beaten off after getting within 70 years of the Lincoln’s. The second was defeated after a Royal Flying Corps pilot noticed it and instructed the artillery to give support. At 5.00pm that evening the 7th Lincoln’s staged their own raid and captured a part of Zenith Trench still occupied by the enemy.
In total on 3rd November 1916 in the defence and then attack in Zenith Trench the 7th Lincoln’s lost 25 men killed, 63 wounded and 10 missing. Among those lost was Arthur Rose.
Arthur has no known grave and is commemorated on the Thiepval Memorial to the Missing. He is also commemorated on both Althorpe War Memorials.
A note on Arthur’s medal card shows that his medals were unclaimed by the family, being returned under King’s Regulation 1743 to Woolwich to be broken up.