Born at Crowle in 1894, the brother of Charles, Bill was the youngest son and one of 6 children of William and Mary Hill (nee Chester) the owner of the White Hart. In 1911 Bill was a groom and hackney cab driver for Hill and Sons at the White Hart. It was when Bill became a junior partner with his brother Charles that the name of the ‘posting business’ became Hill Bros.
Bill attested in the Army at Crowle on 10th December 1915. He was placed on Army Reserve and mobilised on the 25th May 1917, when he was allocated to the 4th (Extra Reserve) Battalion, North Staffordshire Regiment then based in Canterbury. The 4th North Stafford’s arrived in France in October 1917 and shortly before this, probably in July or August, Bill had married Edith Wainwright, the younger sister of George Wainwright of Ealand.
In February 1918 the 4th North Stafford’s were stationed around Ypres, alternating between short periods of rest and duties in the trenches. On 22nd February they moved from their rest camp at Elverdinghe to front line duty at Turenne Crossing, near Langemarck.
Here between 24th and 28th February they were subjected to daily attacks from the German trenches and recieved a number of casualties, 4 men killed and 12 wounded. Bill was one of the unfortunate wounded, receiving a gunshot wound in the stomach. He was taken for treatment to the 107th Field Ambulance but the injury was so severe that on 1st March William Hill died of his wounds. He is buried in Cement House Cemetery, Langemarck.