Stanley Coop

east yorkshire regimental badgePrivate 10/501, 10th (Service) Battalion (Hull Commercials), East Yorkshire Regiment, died of wounds 2nd July 1916, aged 21

Born in 1895 at Clapham Common, London, Stanley was the youngest son and one of four children of Isaac and Edith Coop (nee Sanderson). His mother was the daughter of William Sanderson, a tailor, draper and newsagent in the Market Place who also played his part in the Great War as the head of the Crowle War Savings Committee. His father was an accountant from Dewsbury. The breakdown of the marriage gained some notoriety for a short time in the early 1900’s.

Isaac Coop was prominent account in Yorkshire and North Lincolnshire in the 1880’s and 1890’s with many clients in the farming community including some in Crowle. Sometime in the early 1890’s he opened up a London office and the family were living there when Stanley was born.

In 1902 the parents separated with Edith and the children returning to Yorkshire to live with her aunt at Barnby-on-the-Marsh, near Howden. Isaac was ordered to pay £1 a week maintenance but rarely did so but ‘had plenty of money for drinking’. He was summoned before the Magistrates Court in Howden twice for non-payment, the second time in 1909 gaining him two months in prison.

When Stanley enlisted in the East Yorkshire Regiment at Hull, on the 4th September 1914, the family wad moved from Howden and were living in Chaucer Street, Hull and Stanley worked in the city as a clerk..

In May 1915 the battalion joined the 92nd Brigade in the 31st Division moving first to Penkridge Bank Camp near Rugeley, then later to Ripon and finally Hurdcott Camp near Salisbury. In December 1915 they set sail for Alexandria in Egypt to defend the Suez Canal. In March 1916 preparation for the Battle of the Somme they were sent to France and left Port Said aboard HMT Briton for a five day voyage to Marseilles. They then travelled by train to Pont Remy, a few miles south east of Abbeville and marched to Bertrancourt, arriving on 29 March 1916.

Stanley arrived with the Hull Commercials in France in March 1916 in preparation for the planned Battle of the Somme later that summer. In May 1916 they were posted to Bus where the training for the forthcoming battle intensified. They left Bus on 29th May and headed for a sector of the front near Serre, ‘through Matthew Copse, just opposite to the mysterious Quadrilateral, where the enemy was so touchy’. Wanting to gain knowledge about the German positions and their state of readiness, on the late evening of the 3rd June, the British sent out a raiding party of men from the East Lancashire Regiment to capture prisoners and ‘wreak havoc’ in the enemy trenches.

Some of the officers of the 10th East Yorkshire’s anticipated that the German’s would not appreciated the raid and would almost certainly retaliate and that they would be in the firing line. They also realised that due to the poor state of certain trenches there was a good probability of heavy casualties among the battalion and asked that the men be withdrawn behind the front line until the bombardment subsided. The request was refused.

The East Lancashire’s set off on their raid at 12.30am the next morning, 4th June, and by 1.40am retaliation on the trenches occupied by the Hull Commercials was swift. As an observer put it ‘every available German gun seemed to be firing on the short sector held by ” A” and ” C” Companies’. The front line trenches were blown in almost beyond recognition, scarcely a fire-bay remaining intact and as expected casualties were heavy. Twenty two men were killed, forty seven wounded, many of them seriously. And the East Lancashire’s came back without a prisoner.

Stanley was among those seriously wounded in the barrage, suffering gunshot and shrapnel wounds to his back, left leg, and left knee joint. Taken initially to the 93rd Field Ambulance, he was evacuated the same day to No 23 Casualty Clearing Station and from here to No 10 General Hospital, Rouen. His family were notified by telegram that he was in a serious condition and that they were encouraged to visit. Unable to afford the fare to France, the Army issued them with a travelling permit.

Stanley Coop died of his wounds in 10 General Hospital, Rouen on 2nd July 1916. He is buried in St Sever Cemetery, Rouen.

stanely coop family travel permit

Travel Permit issued to the family of Stanley Coop to visit him in Rouen Hospital